Monday, March 8, 2010

The time Mommy didn't have the flu

Edit: This post is mostly for me so I can remember some of the details of Lauren's beginning. I have already forgotten so much.

One year ago today, Mommy and Daddy found out that their life was about to be changed forever. One year ago today, Mommy took her first pregnancy test and now here I am writing to you about it, so you can assume what the answer to that test was.
This is a story about Mommy's journey of incubating me.

Mommy had been going to the gym every night to get in shape. She had been running a few miles and then going to either yoga or step aerobics depending on the night. Mommy had gotten sick during one of her workouts and 'lost her lunch'. She actually thought that she worked out hard enough to do it, I mean the people on Biggest Loser do it all the time when they have a great workout. She was getting upset that even though she was working out she felt 'bloated'. Little did she know, I was swimming around inside her, making her tummy upset. :)

At School Mommy had been sick in the morning and afternoons, but she just chalked it up to being flu season and her working at a public school teacher. She even had Daddy get her extra Day and NightQuil. Mommy's school friends had been sick and a bunch of Mommy's students had been out sick. Why would she think it was anything but the beginning of the flu.

On March 7, 2009 Mommy's friend Beth had a engagement party, Daddy had All Region and couldn't come down to Conway so Mommy went by herself. Beth's future mother in law made a comment at the party about making sure Mommy didn't get pregnant until after Beth's wedding and Mommy let her know that it would be a few years before they started a family. (little did she know I was already 4weeks old). Mommy stayed with Grandma and Grandpa and came home Sunday March 8th after church. Daddy and his friends had been talking and they had come to the conclusion that Mommy was pregnant. Mommy walked in the door and Daddy said "You're either pregnant or going crazy" (apparently mommy had been a bit emotional and irrational). Mommy took the test and went to change into pj's. She was in the middle of putting on pj pants when she saw the 'pregnant' on the stick! She just stood their in shock-she had no idea what to say or do, she couldn't even finish putting on her pant. Daddy came around the corner saw Mommy's face and knew what the test had revealed.

Mommy didn't trust the first test so she took three more and they all came up positive. Daddy had to take a test for school that next day so Mommy called her doctor and made an appointment. Because Mommy and Daddy hadn't been trying to plan a family right now they were both a bit shocked, but Daddy said it would all be fine and he was actually a bit excited about the fact that we would soon be a family. It took Mommy a bit longer to get excited, but she soon became glad that she would be a Mommy and that she would have me in her life forever!

March 9th Mommy went to the doctor while Daddy was taking his test and the doctor said "Well, your pregnant." Mommy asked if she was for sure about that. I think Mommy was still in a bit of denial. The doctor said yes, you are indeed pregnant and probably around a month along. Mommy and Daddy called Aunt Sara and Uncle Travis and told her (on her birthday) that I was going to be coming into this world in about 8 months. They all went to dinner to celebrate both the discovery of me and Aunt Sara's birthday.

Mommy and Daddy told Nana about me at lunch on March 11 and Papa over the phone the same day. On March 14th Mommy and Daddy got together with Grandma, Grandpa and the rest of the family at Aunties for a bbq and told them the good news with T-shirts that said "World's Best Grandma and Grandpa". Grandpa started jumping up and down and crying, he was very excited to know that I would be in his life soon.

Mommy had a rough time carrying me and had night sickens for the first 7 months and then had really bad acid reflux for the last 2 months. Mommy gained 34lbs and the extra weight was hard on Mommy's back and feet. Mommy had an aversion to meat the first trimester, but couldn't get enough fruit and Swanky's tacos. :D
Early on, Mommy and Daddy decided that they would use LJ as my initials. Daddy, Papa, Papa's Papa, and Lucy Jewel all share the LJ initials. Mommy and Daddy came up with two names: Lawrence Jacob for a boy and Lauren Joy for a girl. I already knew what I was but Mommy and Daddy had to wait until June 18th to find out that their little LJ was going to be Lauren Joy! I was a girl! Grandpa got to come with Mommy and Daddy to find out and they all cried-even Daddy, though he will say he didn't. Mommy, Daddy and Grandpa sent out 100's of texts with my picture and my name, letting everyone know I was a girl.

During the time Mommy was carrying me Mommy and Daddy quit their jobs, moved to our new town and Daddy started Grad school. Mommy went to every football game and sat with the band, I think that is why I like noise and music so much.
I was very comfy inside Mommy and had no desire to enter into this world (although now that I'm here I don't know why I was so afraid to come out-this place rocks!) and Mommy had to be induced when I was a week late. Mommy was induced on November 11th and I finally met Mommy and Daddy on the 12th. I'll write sometime later on my birth story.
A lot has changed in the last year, but Mommy and Daddy couldn't be happier that I am part of their life and that one year ago that little plastic stick said "pregnant". :)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for writing that! I SO enjoyed reading it. You know, I never wrote Shep's birth story. I keep meaning to do it every month. Guess I'll save it for his first birthday. I can't wait to read Lauren's birth story. I will never forget that day...I was SO nervous for you!=)

    I was thinking about when I found out I was pregnant with the boys and I noticed something weird. I found out I was pregnant with Conner on May 7, 2007. Shep was born on that same day, two years later. Weird...